The League of Women Voters of Needham
Needham High School Scholarship
Starting in 2007, the League of Women Voters of Needham has awarded a scholarship to a Needham High School Senior who meets the following criteria:
Origin/Purpose: The mission of the LWVN is to encourage the informed and active participation of citizens in government; work to increase understanding of major public policy issues and to influence public policy through education and advocacy. As part of this mission, our organization is committed to seeing that citizens participate in our government; on the local, state and national levels by utilizing our freedom (and right) to vote and choose our elected officials. We are also committed to encouraging the youth of our community to become involved and concerned with the process of governing and elections – even before they reach the voting age of 18.
Award Criteria: The League of Women Voters Scholarship shall be awarded to a graduating senior who has shown commitment to the above mission. This commitment may be shown through
- participation in an election-related program(s);
- participating in educating voters, and pre-voters, on issue[s] relating to government and/or candidates;
- voter registration efforts and get out the vote campaigns;
- participation/leadership in an established program which teaches the process of governing (such as, but not limited to, the YMCA Youth in Government Program, Model Congress, Student Council, Political/Environmental programs, etc.)
- other activities deemed appropriate to the LWVN mission by the selection committee
|2021||Eva Gorenberg and Eleanor Mackey*|
*In 2021, we awarded two scholarships to honor the founding co-presidents of the Needham High School LWV Needham Club.