Run for Local Office or Town Meeting
Needham’s Annual Election Tuesday, April 14, 2020
Nomination papers for candidates running for Town Offices and Town Meeting members will be available in the Town Clerk’s Office beginning January 2, 2020.
The last day to file nomination papers with the Board of Registrars is February 25.
Incumbent Town Meeting members must return the written acceptance form to the Town Clerk’s Office by February 18.
The annual town election will be held Tuesday, April 14.
Candidates for Town Office must obtain at least 50 valid signatures of registered voters in Needham, and new Town Meeting member candidates must obtain at least 10 valid signatures of registered voters in their precinct.
The following Town Officers, listed with their term lengths, will be on the April ballot:
- Two Members of the Select Board for Three Years
- One Assessor for Three Years
- Two Members of School Committee for Three Years
- One Trustee of Memorial Park (trustee of soldiers’ memorials – Veteran) for Three Years
- Three Trustees of Needham Public Library for Three Years
- One Trustee of Needham Public Library for One Year
- One Member of Board of Health for Three Years
- One Member of Planning Board for Five Years
- One Member of Planning Board for Three Years
- One Member of Needham Housing Authority for Five Years
- One Member of Needham Housing Authority for Four Years
- One Commissioner of Trust Funds for Three Years
- One Member of Park and Recreation Commission for Three Years
- Two Constables for Three Years
The following Town Meeting Member positions listed with their term lengths will be on the ballot:
- Eight Town Meeting Members for three years from each of Precincts A-J
- One Town Meeting Member from Precinct A for one year
- One Town Meeting Member from Precinct B for one year
- One Town Meeting Member from Precinct E for one year
- One Town Meeting Member from Precinct F for two years
- One Town Meeting Member from Precinct I for one year
Candidates for re-election will be listed on the ballot first, in alphabetical order, followed by new candidates in alphabetical order.
For information, call the Town Clerk’s Office at 781-455-7500 ext. 216.
LWV-Needham Candidates Night and Voter Guides
Candidates Night for Town Election
Candidates for contested seats will answer questions from the public. Town Meeting candidates will introduce themselves.
7:00-7:30 pm: Meet and Greet.
7:30 pm: Contested Candidate Forum, followed by Town Meeting candidate introductions.
The event may not be held in the event of no or limited contested races.
A Voter Guide for town offices is printed in the Needham Times.
An expanded Voter Guide including responses from Town Meeting candidates is published on the LWV-Needham website.
Additional Information on Representative Town Meeting
Watch the first night of 2019 Annual Town Meeting. Other nights are available at the Needham Channel.
Watch the LWV-Needham Video, “Needham Town Meeting–Making Your Voice Count”
Additional Information on Elected Town Offices
Information on Campaign Financing and Reporting
When you pick up your nomination papers at Town Hall, you will receive information on campaign financing and reporting, administered through the Town Clerk’s Office.