Run for Local Office or Town Meeting
Needham’s Annual Election Tuesday, April 13, 2021
Nomination papers for candidates running for Town Offices and Town Meeting members will be available in the Town Clerk’s Office beginning January 4, 2021.
The last day to file nomination papers with the Board of Registrars is Tuesday, February 23.
Incumbent Town Meeting members must return the written acceptance form to the Town Clerk’s Office by Tuesday, February 16.
The annual town election will be held Tuesday, April 13. Details on voting options have not been determined yet.
Candidates for Town Office must obtain at least 50 valid signatures of registered voters in Needham, and new Town Meeting member candidates must obtain at least 10 valid signatures of registered voters in their precinct.
The following slate of Town Offices, listed with their term lengths, will be on the April ballot:
- Two Members of the Select Board for Three Years
- One Assessor for Three Years
- Two Members of School Committee for Three Years
- One Trustee of Memorial Park (trustee of soldiers’ memorials – Veteran) for Three Years
- One Trustee of Memorial Park (trustee of soldiers’ memorials – Non-Veteran) for Three Years
- Two Trustees of Needham Public Library for Three Years
- Two Members of Board of Health for Three Years
- One Member of Planning Board for Five Years
- One Member of Needham Housing Authority for Five Years
- One Commissioner of Trust Funds for Three Years
- Two Members of Park and Recreation Commission for Three Years
The following Town Meeting Member positions listed with their term lengths will be on the ballot:
- Eight Town Meeting Members for three years from each of Precincts A-J
- One Town Meeting Member from Precinct E for one year
Candidates for re-election will be listed on the ballot first, in alphabetical order, followed by new candidates in alphabetical order.
For information, call the Town Clerk’s Office at 781-455-7500 ext. 216.
LWV-Needham Candidates Night and Voter Guides
Candidates Night for Town Election–Updated Plan
LWV-Needham is committed to holding forums for all contested races. After the nomination papers have been received at the Town Clerk’s Office (February 23), we will announce the other offices, format, and dates.
Registration for the Zoom events will open in March.
A Voter Guide for town offices is printed in the Needham Times.
An expanded Voter Guide including responses from Town Meeting candidates is published on the LWV-Needham website.
Additional Information on Representative Town Meeting
Watch the LWV-Needham Video, “Needham Town Meeting–Making Your Voice Count”
Additional Information on Elected Town Offices
Information on Campaign Financing and Reporting
When you pick up your nomination papers at Town Hall, you will receive information on campaign financing and reporting, administered through the Town Clerk’s Office.